What is sciatica?
Sciatica, which is pain along the large sciatic nerve that runs from the lower back down the back of each leg, can cause severe, debilitating pain. It is one of the top 5 pain conditions I treat with acupuncture. Researchers estimate up to 43% of people will have sciatica in their lifetime. Nearly half of all of us! That’s a lot of people.
6 most common causes of Sciatica
- Lumbar herniated disc
- Degenerative disc disease
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Piriformis syndrome
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
More Causes of Sciatica and Sciatica-Type Symptoms
- Scar Tissue
- Musle Strain
- Spinal Tuma
- Ankylosing spondylitis.
How does an acupuncturist evaluate and treat sciatica pain?
- Key Point is to determine which acupuncture meridians are affected, that is to say which meridian travels through the painful areas.
- Electric acupuncture is very useful to the sciatica which can stumulate the tendons and relax the muscle in order to releave the pain
- Once or twice weekly treatments for 4 to 6 weeks before re-evaluating the sciatica pain is recommended. After pain relief is achieved, a maintenance course of acupuncture is beneficial to consolidate the treatment.
- I use Tuina medical massage, cupping and medicine capsule to treat sciatica pain as well.