What is Eczema
Eczema is a term for a group of medical conditions that cause the skin to become inflamed or irritated. The most common type of eczema is known as atopic dermatitis, or atopic eczema. Atopic refers to a group of diseases with an often inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever.
The causes of eczema
From Western biomedical perspective
- The cause of eczema is unknown.
- The immune system reacts to an irritant, allergen or other offending substance, or even a phantom substance
- Hormone imbalances
- From a Chinese medicine perspective
- Imbalance in the body like stress, improper diet, toxin buildup, and other lifestyle and emotional factors. From a modern perspective, we also have to consider hormone imbalances and infection.
How does acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine treat Eczema?
- Restoring the natural balance of the body.
- Acupuncture and herbal medicine also help cool red, inflamed skin and stop itching.
- Using topical herbal medicine soaks can strongly stop itch, helping support acupuncture treatments between visits.
- 3 to 6 months of regular treatment with acupuncture and herbal medicine.
- Without herbal medicine, treatment will take longer.
- After eczema symptoms are resolved, I continue treatments for an additional 4 weeks or so to consolidate the treatments. This helps to ensure symptoms won’t recur.