what is Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a skin disease that causes itchy or sore patches of thick, red skin with silvery scales. You usually get the patches on your elbows, knees, scalp, back, face, palms and feet, but they can show up on other parts of your body. Some people who have psoriasis also get a form of arthritis called psoriatic arthritis.
A problem with your immune system causes psoriasis. In a process called cell turnover, skin cells that grow deep in your skin rise to the surface. Normally, this takes a month. In psoriasis, it happens in just days because your cells rise too fast.
Psoriasis can be hard to diagnose because it can look like other skin diseases. Your doctor might need to look at a small skin sample under a microscope.
Psoriasis can last a long time, even a lifetime. Symptoms come and go.
what makes it worse
- Dry skin
- Certain medicines
- Psoriasis usually occurs in adults. It sometimes runs in families. Treatments include creams, medicines, and light therapy.
The triggers for a psoriasis attack are:
- Bacteria or viral infections, like strep throat
- Dry skin
- Skin damage, including cuts, burns, and insect bites
- Some medications, like antimalaria drugs, beta-blockers, and lithium
- Too much or too little sunlight
- Over-consumption of alcohol
How does acupuncture treat psoriasis?
- Acupuncture treat the local skin lesion
- Chinese herbal medicine plays a very important role in treating psoriasis. It can dreduce the heat, dampness and tocin from the inner of body.
- Use herbal soak for the skin lesion
- Diet control
Course of treatments
- You can see big improvement after one to two months
- It may take three month to one year for the treatmnent